Thursday 30 June 2016

Operation Cleanup

Cleaning up the mess that follows the cancellation of a trip, can be a real pain and quite fraught. I was lucky, we were lucky, I should say, that not too much was booked and paid for up front. The accommodation, most booked though Booking.com, could all be cancelled, without penalty. By the time I took a look at my bookings though, on the 27th, one had already passed its date and another had about 13 hours left. The latter, I cancelled straight away. The former would result in me having to pay NOK440 for late cancellation. Nothing ventured, etc, I emailed the property and explained the situation. Happily for me, they agreed to waive the fee and I was able to get that booking cancelled too.

My aim was, wherever possible, to re-date the bookings till next year, rather than cancel everything and have to start over. I've spent a lot of time choosing the accommodation and apart for a couple of compromises, that I won't re-book, I do still want to stay at them. The good thing is, that come 1st July, the 2017 July dates will be available on Booking.com, so I should be able to re-date the remaining hotels to next year. One, a camping site, have already re-booked me.

Aside from the accommodation, things like Eurotunnel, ferry crossing, etc, also have to be sorted. Grizzly is using his Eurotunnel crossing and I can re-date mine for sometime between now and October. The other stuff already paid for, I will just have to take a hit on, as with an excess (deductible) on the travel insurance policy, there is no point in trying to make a claim.

I'll be busy over the next day or to getting the accommodation re-dated but that won't take away the disappointment I shall feel when I wave Grizzly off on his short break, on Sunday morning.

I've made some changes to reflect the tour is now 2017 but I won't change this blog web address. Don't want to lose all my valuable readership, eh?

That's all for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment